About Shenandoah Moon
Step into Shenandoah Moon and you will enter a shop that is the Jewel of Downtown Luray. Our small store contains an eclectic mix of locally-made and global merchandise, plus a selection of distinctive yet affordable clothing and accessories for women.
Shenandoah Moon is located in the lower level of the historic Fitch/Long Building , circa 1880 in historic downtown Luray, Virginia.
Artistic shutters depicting the flora and fauna of the Shenandoah Valley and whimsical moons and stars painted by local artists adorn the exterior.
The interior features original fieldstone walls and a hand-hewn log ceiling. You will be in awe of this structure as well as the items you find in it.
Shenandoah Moon is a small shop in beautiful downtown Luray with so much to offer, you will be amazed at what you find here.
Our merchandise reflects a sincere concern for the environment and social responsibility. We specialize not only in “Shenandoah Valley Made” merchandise, but products with a global flavor,
We welcome you to stop by Shenandoah Moon on your next visit to Luray and look forward to meeting you!
Think of Shenandoah Moon as Luray’s
“Indoor Activity Place.”
About the Owner ~ Susan Rocke
Susan dreamed of joining the Peace Corps as a child, and her dream came true when she and her husband Tim left for two years of service in Guatemala in 1977. As an avid seamstress, she was awed by the beautiful textiles and intricate weavings of the local Mayan women. Susan has also lived in Tanzania and Mexico, and traveled throughout Central America and in India, Southeast Asia, and Europe.
She brings her eye for distinctive color and design and love of handmade textiles and jewelry from all over the world to her selections for the shop.
Shenandoah Moon carries a line of contemporary fair trade casual hoodies, scarves, and knit hats and headbands made in Nepal by Windhorse.
- Our popular hand-dyed rayon batik tunics, skirts, tops, and dresses are made in Bali for Lost River Trading Company, and flatter all figures from Small to 3X.
- Are you looking for quality, affordable sterling silver and gemstone jewelry? Or trendy fashion designs?
- You’ll find our broad selection of jewelry in many price ranges to please even the most discriminating consumer.
- We source our silver jewelry from Poland, Mexico, Bali, Thailand and India. Our fashion and ethnic jewelry comes from Nepal, the Middle East, Indonesia, Guatemala, Peru, and China.
- Our wide selection of freshwater pearl jewelry is suitable for work or casual wear.
- If you are looking for bridal jewelry, check out our selection of pearls for the bride and her attendants, or ask about custom-designed jewelry.
Gifts and Fair Trade Products
- In addition to the items listed above, we carry gifts for guys, and Klutz activity books for children and teens.
- Our fair trade items include business card holders, soapstone carvings, and yarn, roving, and felted bags from Frabjous Fibers.
- We support local artists and young entrepreneurs, and feature jewelry made by more than a dozen local artists, including several high school students.
- Each of our talented staff members, Emmy, Loretta, and Vanessa, display and sell their elegant or whimsical designs in the shop.
- Check out our beautiful hand-knitted hats, fingerless gloves or scarves made by our knitting teacher Carol.
- Find intricately stitched shoulder bags made by Hmong needleworkers from North Carolina.
- We carry a broad range of locally-made American Girl doll clothes including adorable bikinis and party dresses.
- Our selection of Rustic Mountain Soaps are made in Luray by Kim.
- Take home a jar of local jam, syrup, or a hand-made candle from Debbie Fox of Millcroft Farms, located a few miles down the road in Stanley.
- If you’re looking for yarn, we carry a selection of hand-dyed yarns from Misty Mountain Farm and roving from Melissa at Wild Hare Studio of Front Royal.
Beads and Yarn
In our bead room you’ll find affordable short strands of a wide variety of semi-precious gemstones in all colors of the rainbow, and full and short strands of freshwater pearls.
- We carry Toho seed beads in four sizes and many colors, magatamas, Czech firepolish rounds, novelty glass beads, and a wide selection of tools and pewter and plated metal beads and findings.
- Our selection of yarn includes a small but diverse selection of wool and variegated yarns for felting, specialty yarns, and unusual yarns for embellishment.
Private Parties and Classes
- We host private parties for up to 12 in our cozy classroom, the perfect way to make your visit to the shop or Luray memorable.
- You and your family or friends will have fun and create lasting memories while you make a work of art that you can enjoy for years.
- Our most popular event is the silk dyeing class, where no creativity is needed — Susan guides you through making two gorgeous hand-dyed silk scarves. Often students are so thrilled with the results that they make additional scarves as gifts.
- Parties require a minimum of four, and can sometimes even be scheduled with as little as 48 hours notice.