Luray News & Upcoming Events
Hello everyone! Summer is in full swing here in Luray. It is my favorite season, time to relax and have fun. And what could be more fun than something that’s free! Read on for more than 30 free things to do in Luray.
The biggest news about downtown Luray is that we have a new restaurant.
John & Maureen Moss, experienced restaurateurs, just opened Moonshadows a few blocks from Shenandoah Moon. I’ve had the pleasure of tasting some of their cooking and it is wonderful! Described as “a rustic blend of international cuisines using ingredients sourced locally when possible”, they serve brunch on Saturday and Sunday, and dinners Thursday through Monday. Reservations are recommended, check out their website www.moonshadowsonmain.com.
More than 30 FREE Things to do in Luray & Page County
I can’t believe how many free things there are to do in Luray, and the variety is amazing. So whether you enjoy outdoor activities, scenic drives, live music,or artistic pursuits, Luray and Page County have a lot to offer. Please check individual websites for more information, or email us at email@example.com if you have trouble finding something.
- Tour River Hill Distillery on Saturday from 11 am – 5 pm. Or call for an appointment
- Walk the paved 3.5 mile Hawksbill Greenway through downtown Luray
- Admire the artistic wall murals painted on the historic downtown buildings
- Wander through the Warehouse Art Gallery and be amazed at the variety of paintings, sculpture, pottery, jewelry, and more
- Picnic at Ralph Dean Park and let the kids play at Imagination Station playground
- Picnic at scenic Lake Arrowhead or hike the one mile trail around the lake
- Drive around Page County’s back roads and enjoy the rural landscape, or come back in autumn for the vibrant fall colors
- Hike the four mile Kennedy’s Peak trail in George Washington National Forest
- Stroll Storybook Trail in the George Washington National Forest, a short wheelchair accessible trail to a scenic overlook of the Valley
- Visit the Train Museum at the Luray Page County Visitor Center
- Visit Cooter’s in the Valley “Dukes of Hazzard” Museum
- Bicycle the back roads of Luray (Appalachian Outdoor Adventures has great maps)
- Fish a Class A Trout stream with two ADA accessible platforms along Hawksbill Creek
- Check out local produce and meats at Willow Grove Farm Market or Hawksbill Trading Company
- Stop in at the Luray Farmer’s Market for fresh produce, baked goods and more. Saturday from 9 am-1 pm along the Greenway
- Enjoy a Carillon concert at the Luray Singing Tower Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday at 8 pm through the end of August
- Roll up your sleeves and get creative with clay or arts & crafts at the Warehouse Art Gallery Saturdays from 1-3 pm
- Enjoy “Evenings on Main” outdoor concerts in Ruffner Park across the street from the shop: July 14, August 11 & 18, September 1
- Relax and enjoy “Music under the Arbor” at Wisteria Vineyard: June 24, July 23 & 29, August 5, 12, & 19, September 10, 17, 24, & 30
- June 28-July 1: Attend the Stanley Homecoming in Stanley, VA. Enjoy a parade, live music, beauty and talent competition, fireworks and meet Miss Virginia
- July 4, 10 AM: Celebrate the Fourth of July at the Children’s Parade at Inn Lawn Park & watch evening fireworks along the Greenway in downtown
- July 4: PAL Party on the Plaza at 6:30 pm – Featuring the popular band Thundergun
- July 7: Cruise In Car Show, Shenandoah, VA
- July 22: Luray’s Outdoor Movie Night at Ralph Dean Park, featuring “Finding Dory”
- August 12: Outdoor Movie Night at Ed Good Park in Stanley, VA, featuring “Moana”
- August 26: Help harvest grapes and mash them at “Pick & Stomp” at Wisteria Vineyard
- September 6, 2-3 pm, Paws on the Plaza at PAL, Performing Arts Luray
- September 15, 8 pm: Eva Weber Group Rock & Jazz Band at PAL
- Volunteer at or watch one of our athletic events like the Road Race July 29 or the Triathlon on August 19-20
- Learn about Essential Oils at Shenandoah Moon, usually the third Saturday of each month from 1-3 pm
- Join knitters and crocheters at “Sit & Knit” sessions the third Saturday of each month from 11 – 1 pm (usually) at Shenandoah Moon
- While you’re in town, stop in and browse through the quaint shops in Luray, including Shenandoah Moon!